Dr Foudil Lamari, specialized in metabolic biochemistry, is involved in the diagnosis of neurometabolic and neurodegenerative diseases. He participates in patient care and clinical research at the Institute for Memory and Alzheimer’s Disease (IM2A) at Pitié-Salpêtrière in Paris.After a Pharm D in Algiers, Dr Foudil Lamari continued his academic studies at the University of Paris 5-René Descartes (DES Biologie Médicale -MSBM- DEA – PhD).
Research project supported by the Alzheimer Research Foundation :The development of targeted therapies on neurodegenerative diseases (ND) represents a major public health challenge. A prerequisite is the development of diagnostic instruments, allowing precise characterization of these diseases, that would be validated at the different stages of their progression – in particular at early stages – in accordance with the new diagnostic criteria.Currently, the quantification of abnormal proteins in the cerebrospinal fluid by expert centers makes it possible to differentiate AD from other ND diseases (synucleopathies, non-Alzheimer’s taupathies, TDP-43 proteinopathies), but with a specificity and a sensitivity which are relatively disappointing.The source of these difficulties is mainly methodological and partly related to the techniques of quantification of these biomarkers. Dr. Lamari’s research project aims to use a new measurement technique, high resolution mass spectroscopy in the characterization and quantification of proteins and proteoforms (modified proteins) associated with ND diseases. Measurements will be made from samples from cohorts of patients who are very well characterized clinically. A secondary objective will be to develop and validate this method of quantification in plasma, so as to make the diagnosis simpler in routine via a simple blood test, avoiding the need for lumbar puncture which remains a relatively invasive procedure.
Selected recent publications :
• Toschi N, Lista S, Baldacci F, Cavedo E, Zetterberg H, Blennow K, Kilimann I, Teipel SJ, Melo Dos Santos A, Epelbaum S, Lamari F, Genthon R, Habert MO, Dubois B, Floris R, Garaci F, Vergallo A, Hampel H; INSIGHT-preAD study group; Alzheimer Precision Medicine Initiative (APMI). Biomarker-guided clustering of Alzheimer’s disease clinical syndromes. Neurobiol Aging. 2019 Sep 10;83:42-53.
• Viodé A, Epelbaum S, Benyounes I, Verny M, Dubois B, Junot C, Fenaille F,Lamari F, Becher F. Simultaneous quantification of tau and α-synuclein in cerebrospinal fluid by high-resolution mass spectrometry for differentiation of Lewy Body Dementia from Alzheimer’s Disease and controls. Analyst. 2019 Sep 25.
• Saracino D, Sellami L, Clot F, Camuzat A, Lamari F, Rucheton B, Benyounes I, Roué-Jagot C, Lagarde J, Sarazin M, Jornea L, Forlani S, LeGuern E, Dubois B, Brice A, Le Ber I. The missense p.Trp7Arg mutation in GRN gene leads to progranulin haploinsufficiency. Neurobiol Aging. 2019 Jun 10. pii: S0197-4580(19)30184-8.
• Montembeault M, Brambati SM, Lamari F, Michon A, Samri D, Epelbaum S, Lacomblez L, Lehéricy S, Habert MO, Dubois B, Kas A, Migliaccio R. Atrophy, metabolism and cognition in the posterior cortical atrophy spectrum based on Alzheimer’s disease cerebrospinal fluid biomarkers. Neuroimage Clin. 2018; 20:1018-1025.
• Bera G, Migliaccio R, Michelin T, Lamari F, Ferrieux S, Nogues M, Bertin H, Habert MO, Dubois B, Teichmann M, Kas A. Parietal Involvement in the Semantic Variant of Primary Progressive Aphasia with Alzheimer’s Disease Cerebrospinal Fluid Profile. J Alzheimers Dis. 2018;66(1):271-280.